Located in the heart of Missouri, Lake of the Ozarks is the most popular lake destination in the state, featuring more than 1,100 miles of shoreline and drawing over five million visitors each year.
Aside from the abundance of recreational activities, visitors also rave about the excellent restaurants in Lake of the Ozarks. Whether classic steakhouse fare, barbecue, or gourmet burgers whet your appetite, your craving will surely be satisfied during your stay.
If you’re planning a vacation to the Lake Area, be sure to include these five restaurants in your list!
1. Baxter's Lakeside Grille
Baxter’s Lakeside Grille is one of the best Lake of the Ozarks restaurants on the water. It is a top-tier destination for fine American cuisine, excellent service, and stunning views of the lake and the sunset.
This restaurant offers a comfortable yet classy dining experience and strives to meet the needs of every guest with complete vegetarian and gluten-free menus.
- Baxter’s Steak Burger – Freshly ground in-house daily. Grilled and topped with house mayonnaise and your choice of cheese on an artisan roll. Served with your choice of potato.
- Berkshire Pork Tomahawk – 12 oz. grilled Berkshire Tomahawk pork chop topped with apple bourbon butter and served with smashed sweet potatoes and vegetables of the day.
- Caribbean Jerk Chicken – Harvestland® all-natural chicken, grilled with mango pineapple salsa, Baxter’s rice, and vegetable of the day.
“What a great fine dining restaurant in Ozarks. Reservation highly recommended- they can easily accommodate large group in the spacious dining hall, patio. A nice view of the lake is a bonus if your dining during day. We had Janice as our sever who was fabulous! A huge menu of wine, spirits and cocktails including some interesting Martinis! We tried seared Ahi tuna, and spinach artichoke dip for apps and both were delicious. My Cedar pink salmon was very well done with a interesting kind of tangy sauce and served on a cedar wood platter. A great place for special night out if you are near Lake or Ozarks.”
– Vikas Kumar
2. JB Hook's
JB Hook’s is a popular steak and seafood restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks and has been serving the area for more than 25 years.
This family-friendly restaurant prepares most of the dishes in-house from scratch, and all of the spices used by the kitchen are gluten-free.
- New Orleans BBQ Shrimp – Sauteed with beer, garlic and Cajun spices.
- Chesapeake Style Calamari – Lightly dusted in flour and Cajun spices, flash fried, and served with a side of cocktail sauce.
- Tilapia Grand Mariner – Tilapia filet pan seared topped with two colossal shrimp and finished with grand mariner reduction.
“My mom and I were in the Ozarks for a work conference and we found this restaurant on TikTok. The views and atmosphere were beautiful. Our waiter Owen was an excellent server also. He was very pleasant, respectful, nice, classy, educated. He made our experience an A++++. The owners were also lovely people. They checked on us throughout the night and had great conversation. I can’t wait to visit the Ozarks again, they have gained a new customer.”
– Bee Victoria
3. JJ Twigs Pizza & BBQ
This pizza place serves traditional pizzas and more creative ones, like a Mexican pizza with taco-flavored meat and sauce, green onion, tomatoes, black olives, and jalapenos. It also offers barbeque platters, burgers, hot dogs, wraps, and subs.
There is usually live entertainment on weekend evenings. JJ Twig’s Pizza & BBQ also offers kiddie parties which include a tour of the kitchen where kids can make their own pizza.
- J. J. Twig – Sausage, mushroom, onion, and green pepper.
- Original Double Decker – Two layers of thin crust, two layers of meat and cheese. Topped with all other ingredients, with a thick outer edge.
- Pulled Pork Burger – Rubbed and seasoned in-house and slow-cooked for twelve hours to perfection. Served with our house-made BBQ sauce.
“This place has the best pizza at the lake. The staff are always friendly and the foods good. Nice atmosphere and family friendly. One of our family’s favorite spots.”
– Jessica Augello
4. La Costenita
This authentic Mexican restaurant and bar located in Osage Beach is a hidden culinary gem worth exploring. La Costenita serves great tasting tacos, nachos, burritos, quesadillas, fajitas, steaks, and more!
- Chimichanga – A flour tortilla deep-fried filled with ground beef or chicken topped with nacho cheese. Served with rice, beans, Pico de Gallo, and sour cream.
- Steak La Mexicana – Steak cooked with onions, bell pepper, tomato, rice, and beans. Your choice of red or green sauce.
- Fajitas La Costenita – Chicken, beef, shrimp, and chorizo cooked with tomato, bell pepper, and onion. Served with rice, refried beans, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, Pico de Gallo, a side of flour, or corn tortillas.
“Great experience. Had the California Burrito and it had the most tender pork I’ve ever eaten. If we lived here it would be our go to Mexican Restaurant. Total of six at dinner and everyone loved their choice.”
– Mike Power
5. Tavern on the Bend
When it comes to fine dining, Lake of the Ozarks’ Tavern on the Bend has become a staple to locals. Patrons commend this restaurant for its authentic American cuisine, excellent service, beautiful decor, and marvelous views of the lake scenery.
- Prime Rib Steak – 12/16 oz. USDA-certified prime-aged beef hand-cut in-house.
- Salmon – Fresh fillet with garlic, cream, and spinach sauce.
- Sea Bass – Lightly sauteed and finished with white wine, shallot, and more. Mushroom cream sauce.
“We had a fantastic experience and would highly recommend Tavern on the bend. Cindy is such a wonderful server, always attentive and professional. Shane is awesome as well, we truly enjoyed everything from the onion rings and blue cheese wedge salad to the lobster and filet. We already have reservations to return.”
– Ravens Fan
Frequently Asked Questions
Reservations are recommended at these restaurants to ensure you and your companion/s are accommodated well at your preferred date and time: Baxter’s Lakeside Grille, JB Hook’s, and Tavern on the Bend.
Baxter’s Lakeside Grille offers vegan options, and JB Hook’s has many vegetarian and keto options.
Baxter’s Lakeside Grille, JB Hook’s, and JJ Twigs Pizza & BBQ have parking.